Monday, May 31, 2010

Noah Eugene "Gene" Barker 1947-2010

GENE BARKER, A "SPECIAL FRIEND"

When I transfered to Surry Central from Jupiter High, Florida, in my Junior year, 1964, Gene was one of the first who welcomed me...made me feel like I had always been "a Golden Eagle"...made me feel like I belonged!

He and I had many things in common, two of those being cars and music. Ah, the music...as long as it was rock-'n-roll! What great times we had, along with Bobby Simpson, Tommy Wall, and David Sidden...posing as "rock stars" while playing all the favorite 64-65 hit songs in his band, The Royals Combo! That bond kept us going until graduation.

Then, as life has it, the fun was over and the real life began...work, college, Vietnam, marriage, family, mortgages, job changes, more family, "climbing the success ladder", etc...you get the picture! But, we tried to keep in touch occassionally, like the pontoon picnic The Royals had on Lake Hickory in late 80's or early 90's! And, like the 25th Reunion of the Class of '65 in 1990, at Mt. Airy Country Club. That was the last time that Gene and his Royals "posed" as rock stars!

Yes, life gets in the way again...and for the next 20 years (1990-2010) we only had a brief visitation or an ocassional phone conversation. I learned that Gene had a new music love...Gospel! He really enjoyed it, and of course he was great at it!

Then, in February, I called Bobby, Tommy, and David to get together and drop in on Gene at King. We called it "Gene Barker and The Royals Day"! Gene was in great spirits, and we all had loads of fun and laughs reminiscing good times! That was the last time I saw Gene.

Now, I am sure Gene is singing with another group...The Royal Heavenly Angels, and The Lord is pleased!

Gene will always be a "special friend".

Ron "Ronnie" Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Visitors...